Friday, October 07, 2005

Bomb threat to New York tube network


New York City Subway
Authorities stepped up security on New York’s tube system last night after receiving a credible threat that the New York City subway may be the target of a terrorist attack in the coming days.


New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg
Mayor Michael Bloomberg appeared at a news conference alongside Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly in which they announced the threat, which they said originated overseas.

Bloomberg said it was the most specific threat New York officials had received to date. No one in New York had been arrested, he said.

A law enforcement official, who anonymously, said the threat was “specific to place, time and method’’ and that the method was bombing.

“We have done and will continue to do everything we can to protect this city," Bloomberg said, adding that he planned to take the subway home later.

“We will spare no resource, we will spare no expense. We have increased our police presence on our subways."

Kelly asked the public to report suspicious people or activities.

Police planned to start looking through bags, brief cases, baby strollers and luggage as they launched a large-scale search of New York’s mass transit system.

“We have never had before a specific threat to our subway system," Bloomberg said.

“Its importance was enhanced above the normal level by the detail that was available to us from intelligence sources."

New York’s security level remained at orange, the same level it has stayed at since the September 11 2001 attacks.

An estimated 4.5 million passengers use the New York subway on an average weekday. The network has more than 468 stations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home